I believe in everything in moderation...I do not deny myself bacon or chocolate or even a gooey slice of pizza. But there comes a time when we should say no or at least do that extra workout to burn the calories. And no simply for weight reasons but for health reasons. Ladies if we don't take care of ourselves nobody else is going to do it for us.
After last weeks challenge we should all be feeling fabulous about ourselves or at the very least maybe at least a little bit better? It's time to look at our overall health.....the benefits of being healthy are numerous a few include a longer life span, more energy (a must with today's busy lifestyle and hyper children) and not to mention for some weight loss and a trimmer waistline.
So to continue with our Just for Her Summer Series, today I'll be just throwing out a few ideas in which we can make ourselves a wee bit healthier.
Exercise - As simple as a 30 minute walk could have huge physical benefits including weight loss...yay!
Drink lots of water - if you don't like water try low cal Crystal Lite for flavour or squeeze a bit of lemon or lime juice in there.
Sleep! Easier said than done for some but at least an effort should be made towards 7 hours a night. But if you got out for that 30 minute walk earlier I'm sure that along with the fresh air will definitely help.
Cook Fresh!! Stop making meals that are coming out of a bag, box or can. The preservatives and sodium levels on that stuff is brutal! Or even attempt a day of eating only raw.
Take your Vitamins - Dr. Oz suggests a daily multi-vitamin, half taken in the morning and half at night, Vitamin D and Omega 3's for women
Get smart about Heart Health as it's one of the major killers of women today - click HERE for the Canadian Heart & Stroke Foundation.
Eat Super Foods - here are the top 10 that I found in my research
1. Green Vegetables - broccoli, spinach and leafy greens especially!
2. Fruit - aim for lots of berries, citrus fruits, avocados & tomatoes
4. Nuts & Seeds
5. Whole Grains - yes that means no more white bread, don't forget oats & barley too.
6. Seafood - yummy cold water fish like salmon....mmm
7. Lean meat - the best choice is turkey
8. Milk &Yogurt
9. Legumes - lots of beans in your chili? then you're covered :)
10. Olive Oil - preferably Extra Virgin
And with the above in mind here's this week's 7 day challenge:
1) Take a 30 minute walk at least twice this week
2) One day eat only FRESH nothing can be pre-packaged for you. Get creative with herbs & spices for added flavour if you're missing the added salt taste.
3) Eat at least one item from the super foods over the 7 days (I understand if the milk/yogurt category is out as I'm on a non-dairy diet myself.....boo!)
4) Educate yourself on heart health and vitamins. Decide if taking supplements would be beneficial to your health. Knowledge is always power.
Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon.
~ Doug Larson